Jul 3, 2011

The return of Fudd


Shhhh....be vewy, vewy quiet.
I'm hunting sqwerrals....he heh heh.


I must say, when it comes to shooting at the myriad of squirrels that gobble up all the bird seed that we place on the deck every morning, I am much like Elmer Fudd. I always miss my target, no matter how close. They always hop from the deck to the tree, hanging on to the side to laugh at me. That little chip chip sound that they make translates, to me anyway, into “you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if you were standing on it”. Perhaps they're right. I've filled the woods with copper while aiming at the little beasts.
Let me state that I personally harbor no ill will at the little monsters. I'm sure that somewhere in the evolutionary train these critters have a place. Wife Laura, however, is a bird fan. She places bird feeders all over the property, filling them to the brim to lure chickadees, robins, bluejays, woodpeckers, doves and the occasional partridge for a free, unworked-for dinner. It's only natural then, that the squirrels would line up for the welfare meal. And line up they do!
To me, they're kinda fun to watch, little tails shaking up and down, un-trusting heads quickly moving from side to side, surveying any movement for an enemy that might disrupt the meal. And I have become the enemy!
Since I've been cast as the Wyatt Earp to their Ike Clanton, my main part of the relationship is to try and fill them full of copper. And try I do! (I should add that my secondary duty is to keep the birdseed coming so that we keep our symbiotic relationship current).
To recap:
Laura or I place birdseed on deck rail;
birds come to eat;
Laura enjoys watching the birds;
after a few minutes, the birds take flight;
Laura yells “squirrel alert, squirrel alert”;
I drop what I'm doing and go for the gun;
I quietly open the back door and assume the position;
squirrel eats as long as possible before jumping to the neighboring tree;
I draw a deadly aim (deadly for the tree maybe);
squirrel enjoys dinner and a show as I fill the air with flying copper projectiles.

Lately, I've noticed that the neighborhood squirrels are lining the branches, passing acorns and birdseed amongst themselves. Animal bookmaking perhaps?

1 comment:

Thomas Lawrence said...

The squirrel IS a cunning little devil. Like in the Geico commericial where the little rodents high five each other at the sound of a wreck They caused. You just can't trust 'em.