Jul 6, 2011

The In-Laws



I posted awhile back about a new tradition that we enjoy-the annual halloween gathering at Roger and Peggy's place on Main St. in Newberry. While I could also add several more to the list (Christmas Eve, 4th of July, etc.), I'd rather write about the reason why we have enjoyed these new traditions with these new friends.
When my son announced his engagement to Catherine a few years back, I was apprehensive about meeting the soon-to-be in-laws. Roger (a retired USC professor and current antique store owner) and Peggy (head of forensics for the state of S.C.) have turned out to be two of the nicest, most caring people that I've met. Roger loves his golf, which he plays almost daily, and shoots in the 70's. Peggy loves to pick up gifts for the grandchildren, and makes a killer casserole!
This July 4th, we met up with them, son Ryan and grandson Jack, Michael, Cat and Fiona to see the Newberry 4th of July fireworks show. The event was so packed that we ended up in the Lowes parking lot, along with a hundred others, to see the spectacular display provided by the Newberry Sheriff's Dept.
During the fireworks, there was much laughing and playing and oohing and awing by all. It was a regular family event!
And that's the word- family.
I remember when my parents met Laura's parents back in 1976. They liked one another just fine, but didn't really hang out together at all. Maybe it was the age difference, as my parents were several years older than hers. Or it could have been the geographical difference-my parents were upstaters, Laura's strictly mountain folk. Whatever it was, it laid a foundation of normalcy on the whole subject of in-laws. Roger and Peggy would turn this upside-down as they invited us to share in various family gatherings.
Without gushing too much, I just want to state for the record- Laura and I have been blessed in many ways. Added to those blessings are two wonderful new friends that we now call family!

No comments: