Mar 27, 2009

Hallow's Eve


It seems so long ago now. All our friends would plan for the evening to come, imaginations flowing like a spooky wine. It was time for the annual Halloween costume party and we would all gather at a predetermined location to drink, party and impress one another with our choice of costume.
The characters portrayed were eclectic and amazing, from the pregnant nun to Moses, Mark Twain to Jim and Tammy Baker, a Roman soldier, a pimp and his ho, the list goes on.
I don't know why we stopped having the parties – I suppose age and reason caught up with us.
I remember the first one we attended. I decided to dress as an alien, complete with a glue-on mask. As fate would have it, I was sick as a dog and needed to be home in bed but I wouldn't have missed it for the world, so I drug myself to Powdersville and tried to party with the gang. My fever was rather high and the resulting sweats had my alien mask flopping on my face after only an hour or so. In hindsight, it wasn't a great move on my part as I had the potential of making the entire party ill, but I was young.

For us, the tradition eventually died out but it did last long enough to see my brother Gary as a dog, Debbie as the Bride of Frankenstein, Tony and Larry as Paul and John, Laura as a sheep, my mom as a hooker (that one required a couple of years of therapy), Dwayne as a zombie, some chick even came as a jar of Jif peanut butter!
Sometimes I wonder what choices of costume my 50+ year old peers would choose now?

2 comments:

Thomas Lawrence said...

What is Bob doing in that photo...tossing his cookies?

Larry Reid said...

Yup...the perfect party example picture