Jan 17, 2009

I get a feeling I should have been home yesterday...


Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah river
Life is old there, Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, Growin like a breeze.


It is almost heaven there. The snow covered peaks near Summersville and the New River Gorge are beautiful. A quick visit to that fair shire this weekend was a pleasant reminder of John Denver's paean to home and beauty. Seeing the magnificent landscapes of West Virginia, you'd have thought that Robert C. Byrd himself had ordered them up especially for us - such is his judicial prowess and longevity. Now he may not have the supernatural ability to alter the weather for sightseers, but he has miraculously managed to get his name on every thing in sight: bridges, roads, buildings, parks, and enough law to choke a bureaucratic ex-Klansman. Of course, R.C.B. is the esteemed senior - and I mean SENIOR - Senator of West by gawd Virginia. Like the song says, "life is old there".

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

And I must say, the Robert C. Byrd memorial rest area near Bluefield boast some of the finest facilities this side of the Missi-sip.

The divine Miss Ann took on Bobby Byrd's hypocrisy many years ago. And despite Byrd's egotistical pursuit to name everything in West Virginia after himself, it is a pretty state.

4 comments:

Z said...

I LOVE that song.
A friend lives in Fairmont, WV..doesn't sound like she's near you, though. I'd love to see the beauty there...even if everything DOES have Ex KKK recruiter BOB BYRD's name attached to it!

I landed in Aspen COLO once and looked around the mountains surrounding the airport and could NOT stop from singing that song in my mind...especially when they pointed out Denver's house on the ridge.
Man, can you believe it just hit me that John DENVER lived in COLORADO? GeeeeeZ

hey, Larry! (we say HI in LA!) HAA

Nikki said...

I am a HUGE John Denver fan! Have been forever. He may be the only liberal I like. I wonder if he knew West Virginia was so conservative?! Isn't it "Blowin' like a breeze?" :)N

Anonymous said...

Nikki: welcome back to the blogosphere!

I copied and pasted from the official JD website...and they have it as "growing". Other sites have it as "blowing". It is unclear as to weather I committed a C&P faux pas. :)

Z: I was about an hour or so south of Fairmont. All pretty country up there. And Hi back at ya from the southland!

Thomas Lawrence said...

That anonymous fellow above is me :)