Aug 9, 2008

It's Official: I'm a lounge lizard.


No, I haven't purchased a convertible or acquired a 25 year old girl friend; and I haven't taken to haunting the Manor like I did in those young, free, nocturnal days of yore when Ridgeway and me would "crutch" our way out there and hang out till the naked eye of 4 AM. Yes, I said "crutch". We both were sporting a plaster cast. As Ridgeway used to tell curious patrons, "same loan shark".

No, my lounge interest are not of the prurient nature. Unless, you consider jazzy, swing music a lascivious pursuit. Up until now, my interest in music was a lot like most everybody among the 50 something generation; we cut our teeth on rock and roll. We were hip to Frankie and Dean and Bing; it was our parent's music, but we had something new and the standards of the big band era eventually fell from our catalogues.

My re-awakening happened recently. May 14 2008 marked the tenth anniversary of the death of Frank Sinatra. Turner Classic Movies celebrated the event by declaring it Frank Sinatra Month. Interspersed among the Sinatra movies were 4 concerts, one each Sunday evening. I happened to catch the first one...and I was hooked. Not just by Frank's singing, that was fabulous, but by the wall of sound produced by the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. I had never heard it quite that way before.

I casually mentioned my "discovery" to my Cousin Robbie Durham. We routinely chat on Robbie's evening commute from Fort Mill to Huntersville. A few days later in the mail I received 4 CD's. 2 were of Frank Sinatra: a man and his music, one was Louis Armstrong performing various solo efforts and duets with Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin and the like. And the forth one was a CD called Swingin Singles: Cocktail Mix Volume III. Good ol' Robbie.

CMV III is a compilation of brassy, ballsy songs that range from Della Reese's rendition of The Lady is a Tramp to Sarah Vaughn's scorching version of One Mint Julep. Instrumentals include a charged up version of the 60's hit, Tequila and a Henry Mancini arrangement called Something for Cat. Also appearing on this swinging collection is Mel Torme, Louis and Ella, Peggy Lee, Rosemary Clooney, Sammy Davis Jr and various others.

So, it is official, I've turned into a lounge lizard. And the best part is that I'm only getting started. A Little Frank, a little Ella and I'm off to discover the brave new world outside of Beatleland.

Somebody bring me a Glendfiddich on the rocks.

Henry Mancini- Something for Cat

Diana Dors- Come by Sunday

Sinatra- Let Me Try Again

1 comment:

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Larry, thanks for visiting my blog and posting your comment about this great music. It's a recent acquisition for me, too - only in the last seven or eight years did I really discover Sinatra, and that has led to all sorts of interesting places.

When I have some good 30's jazz and big band on in the office, it just changes the entire place.