Jul 28, 2008

Croquet crimes: down and dirty on the front lawn

What kind of coverage can I expect?, I asked the man as I handed him ten crisp one hundred dollar bills. "You'll hear crickets farting for at least ten thousand square feet", the man replied. Can I hear a low whisper? "Most certainly". Very good. They'll be here at 5 tomorrow to play and I need an advantage. "Right", he said, never looking at me, as he cranked his black Crown Victoria and pulled away into the thick up-country evening .

And I can't believe it worked, but it did. The tricky part was the tiny earpiece. It nearly fell out once as I sent the red ball a considerable distance, much to the consternation of Wilder. "Uh huh", he said as he passed me on the way to a far flung region of the lawn.

But I got away with it and and I was aces . I always appeared to know what the other guys were doing because I did know what they were doing. Reid gave me a crap eating grin that had hidden in its smirk just a hint of somethings going on with Durham; and he would be right. So, I guess I'll have to cut him in being that he's my blue partner when we're playing yellow and red, aka, Ridgeway and Wilder.

The question is just how long to perpetuate the abuse? You know what they say about me, incorrigible in victory, irascible in defeat.

No comments: