Oct 7, 2015

An Innocent Abroad part 3 – On to Paris

We’re sitting on a plush, comfortable seat, arranged two to a row. Two seats face us, but they are unoccupied. We’re traveling at close to 186 mph and suddenly we feel the train slow down. It slows to 100 mph and suddenly everything goes dark. We are now in the Chunnel.
After seeing the major sites in London, which included Buckingham Palace, the National Museum, Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London and Hampton Court Palace, former home of Henry VIII, we are now heading to Paris on Eurostar.
train
The train glides through the English countryside, offering spectacular views of small towns, medieval villages, cows, hardware stores, big box stores and country lanes. Anything close to the train goes by with a blur, but looking out into the distance you get a sense of this part of the country. I walked to the bar buffet and nabbed two Diet Cokes and a couple bags of ‘crisps’, known as potato chips in the US. Kim and I talked of our previous few days in London and some of the sights that I should see if I ever return and have a bit of time to explore the country. We did get to meet up with some of Kim’s old friends who lived in Greenwich, not far from the Greenwich Observatory and the International time line (where we get GMT). It was special having a meal with the couple and enjoying their home, which was crammed with books and beautiful knickknacks. We then went down to the Thames and walked along the river, which I enjoyed almost as much as the historical sites that surrounded us. Then off to another pub to enjoy the locals and be immersed in the culture of soccer-British style. And, as a special treat, Kim took me to Rules, a restaurant which has been around since Jesus. Then it was off to the Globe Theater to catch “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” But I digress…on to Paris.
Emerging from the Chunnel, I realized that I was now in France for the first time. Thoughts of my maternal grandfather filled my mind – he had been an American Dough boy in the First World War and his unit, the Old Hickory 30th Division had served in France in 1917 and 1918. I wondered, as I looked across the open fields covered in flowers, if my grandfather had looked at this scene upon arriving here nearly a century before. Although the mix of modern autos and convenience stores would not have muddled his view, would he have seen that huge oak in the distance when it was a mere sapling?
frenchcntryside
The open fields gave way to small towns as we made our way across the French countryside at 186 mph. The small towns and villages that we passed were a mix of new buildings that surrounded an old church or castle that looked as if it had always been there. In the distance we could see Paris approaching and we knew that soon we would be walking in the “city of lights”. My excitement at this prospect, however, was grounded by my realization that I didn’t speak French. How would I navigate my way around the city? How would I order breakfast? Ask for directions? This would certainly be an interesting trip!

No comments: