Dec 11, 2009

I'm my own grandpaw...

Once upon a time I met a lady who married her late husband's brother, who, as it turns out, was also her second cousin. She had three children by her first husband (the late one), and two more by her second husband, the former brother in law. So effectively, her kids were cousins and half brothers/sisters. Throw in the fact that she was also a cousin to both husbands and the whole thing becomes to difficult to decipher. I always hoped to be invited to their family reunion, but alas, it did not come to pass.

Which brings me to this: I am my own Grandpaw. Grandpaw is one of the great novelty songs ever recorded. Written inn 1947 by Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe, Granpaw has been recorded by damn near every novelty singer and then some (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc). Below is the Ray Stevens version complete with diagram. Enjoy.



And here is an added bonus: What else would you expect from MTH? Don't answer that.

2 comments:

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Larry, great stuff finding these old classics! I haven't heard "I am my old Grandpaw" in years, but it's still as funny as ever. Funny enough though, a couple of months ago I was listening to the radio very early one Saturday morning, and a caller requested the Cash classic "One Piece at a Time". What a great song, and what a beautiful rich voice Johnny Cash had.

"You might say I went up to the factory, there, and picked it up." Hahahahahahahaa!!!

Thomas Lawrence said...

Thanks ECI. I think we'd have to throw in A Boy Named Sue as a great novelty classic.

Our buddy Peace does an awesome Cash impersonation. And nobody does a better Mr Ed. LOL just thinking about it!