Sep 20, 2009

Really nothing to get hung about...

I loved the Beatles; they had an adventurous spirit did the lads. They were so adventurous that they even sang songs about the weather- at least in a metaphoric sense - So, loving the weather as I do, I dug up a favorite from the boys that just fits the bill for a rainy day in the deep south.





I rarely make a link to Wikipedia, but this one concerning the song Rain is as good an article as any. I've probably said here before that I found the smacked up Yoko worshipping Lennon to be a little hard to take. Looking back, I think he was a bit of a phony baloney (sometimes). Sure John, let's give peace a chance and imagine there's no Heaven; but would not the end result of that prescription be slavery and hopelessness? Actually, I've come to believe that a lot of Lennon's pontifications were the guilt trip induced ramblings of guy who couldn't believe his luck. But it's not my intention to pile on John. He was a soulful singer and he was, after all, one of the Beatles. I particularly loved his work on The Beatles cover of Mr. Postman - and all of the Second Album.

3 comments:

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Wow, Larry - that is the first time in at least 25 years I've listened to the Beatles' Rain. I love the line at the end: "That's the first record with backwards music on it."

Thomas Lawrence said...

Howdy ECI: The boys did like to experiment. I think the George Martin influence was The Beatles greatest asset.

t.durham said...

I always liked the early Beatles. I believe their energy and enthusiam made up for their lack of production abilities. People had fun when they listened. After all it was fun and great music that filled the Cavern Club.