Aug 13, 2008

How could I be so lucky

Hello. I'm Larry and I am a victim of credit card fraud.
I read with interest the story which carried the headline "40 Million Credit and Debit Cards at Risk" and "Largest Credit Card Fraud Case in US History".
How could the internet security guys be so stupid as to let these hackers bust into this many accounts? What maroons! And then I went to the pharmacy to pick up my drugs. "Your card is declined. What other form of payment would you like to use?" said the young cashier. "Declined? No way" I said. "Yes way" was the look she gave as I pulled out my other credit card. After paying for the meds I headed straight for the door and to the house where I could go online and check my bank balance.
Money's there, I thought as I closed the web page. Must have been an error with the pharmacy. Next morning, on my way to work, I stopped to buy gas and received another 'card declined' message from the pump card reader. Hmmm. To the bank I went.
The teller was able to pull my account and discovered there were three pending charges on my card which, when accepted, would take me over my limit. She noted that my line of credit had kicked in and deposited over $500 into my account to cover these charges. Now, what did my money buy? Shoes. Running shoes, tennis shoes, all from Footlocker, FootAction and some outfit named City Blue 8. Did they buy these items in my fair state where at least my tax dollars would go to one of my local politcos? Hell no. They shopped Upper Darby, PA. 69th Street, to be precise. My first question (after freezing my account) was to wonder just where in the sam-hill Upper Darby, PA was located? I had recently travelled to Vegas for a seminar, but came nowhere near Upper Darby Pennsyl-freakin-vania. Did I use my card in Vegas? Once, at a Bank of America to withdraw cash. Maybe that's where they stole my number.
All these thoughts and uncertainties were clouding good judgement so I decided to call my friend Mike and get the scoop on how best to proceed. Mike works in the fraud investigation business and has seen this type of situation before. "Freeze your bank account, contact one of the credit reporting agencies (who report to the other two) and have a fraud alert put on your credit file. Get a police report from your local police or sheriff's department and keep it with your bank information.
I followed his advice to a tee. Hopefully this will help to get my funds back.
Upper Darby,PA is located just a few miles west of Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love. Someone in Upper Darby was feeling the love as they visited the Foot Action Store at 8 69th St Blvd. and bought a $150.00 pair of shoes using my money. Satisfied with their purchase, the bums waltzed down to City Blue 8 at 44 69th St Blvd. and bought $40.00 worth of something. They then proceeded down 69th St. past the Game Stop, the theater and Popeyes delicious fried chicken, to the Foot Locker at 88 69th Street and scored $292.00 worth of footwear. I love Google Maps as it allowed me to retrace their steps and see just how close all three of these stores are located to one another.
After speaking with the Upper Darby Police Department officer I learned that this type of theft is not uncommon to the area due to it's close proximity to Philly.
Seems that I was probably a part of the major bank account number theft that made the news and my number was sold to some tennis shoe-wearing idiot who don't need a full time job. Damn. How lucky can I get? Maybe I should have gambled in Vegas...then there would have been no money to steal.

No comments: