Jul 29, 2008

Heat Advisory?


'Heat, ma'am!' I said; 'it was so dreadful here that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones.'
Sydney Smith (1771 - 1845)

Sydney must have lived in Columbia, SC.
We shot another "On the Street" segment with the lovely Giovanna today and were out under ole Sol from 11:30AM until 4:30PM. The day started with a humidity warning on the camera which delayed our shoot close to 40 minutes. This week's segment had us on location at the West Columbia Zesto's, a local landmark serving up the best fried chicken in the midlands. Gus, the proud Greek proprieter of the establishment, treated us like visiting royalty by serving up good ole sweet iced tea and a fine lunch after the first segment wrapped. Thanks Gus.
After lunch we hopped down to the foot of the Gervais Street Bridge and the Riverwalk to shoot our open and close and get a few more interviews. A couple hours later we were all soggy toast in the early afternoon sun, sweating from every pore and soaking wet from the heat. Andy's camera was getting heavier on his shoulder by the minute as we rushed to get it the hell done and get the hell out of hell so I took over the shooting chores and made quick work of the last few scenes. Finally we made our way to our respective vehicles and prepared to depart. I watched with envy between the sweat drops as my cohorts climbed into their fancy SUVs and Fords and turned on the air conditioning...I rolled my windows down because I don't have such a fancy contraption. Well, I do, but it's been broken for nigh on two summers and I just won't spend the money since the car is worth only half of what the repair bill would cost. You know, they say that Columbia is a "capital place to live"...thank God I only work here!

It's so hot it feels like hell is a mile away and the fence is down.
anonymous

No comments: